HAPPY NEW YEAR!
As we say goodbye to a very exciting 2013 and welcome 2014, we thought we would each share our top ten “Trent Severn” moments of the year, and what a year it has been! Collectively, we would like to thank all of you who have supported us and to extend a sincere wish for a fantastic 2014 to you and your family.
Top Ten TS moments by Laura C Bates:
10. Emm and Dayna photo bombing Gordon Lightfoot at the Ottawa Folk Festival
9. Meeting the Snowbirds, it turns out they’re just like a band, but way cooler.
8. Receiving a standing ovation at the Candian Folk Awards showcase
7. Surprising Dave Bates on his birthday with an Aengus Finnan appearance at our Stratford Show. We backed Aengus up on his song “War Brides” and I saw a tear in my Dad’s eye.
6. The joyful eruption in the crowd when Chris Hadfield sang the first line of Space Oddity with us on Canada Day
5. Seeing the article about us in MacLean’s magazine and making two of their yearly lists.
4. The personalized gifts we have received from our friends, especially the denim jackets designed by Mark and Paula Aquilla (to be revealed in 2014!)
3. Having beers at Richard Manuel’s grave in the Stratford cemetery
2. Hearing the opening line of Emm’s new song “Nil Visibility” (to be revealed in 2014!)
1. Singing the National Anthem on Parliament Hill (my first gig as a vocalist/not armed with my fiddle!)
Top Ten TS moments by Emm Gryner:
10. Playing at The Westover Inn, St. Mary’s – April 2013 (hometown show!)
9. Playing a bluegrass Space Oddity with Chris Hadfield in Ottawa
8. Singing the national anthem on Parliament Hill on Canada Day
7. Playing among the mountains of The Yukon and northern BC during summer
6. Sitting together as a band at the Canadian Folk Music Awards, knowing we will be doing this a lot (hopefully) in the future
5. Drinking Scotch with Laura at the Travelodge in Calgary after our fab show at the Folk Club
4. Hearing Dayna’s new song “King of the background” about Richard Manuel
3. Seeing Dayna get engaged to Aengus before my very own eyes. Wow!
2. Playing for one of my new close friends at Factory 163 in Stratford (and my 3 year-old) for the first time.
1. Talking to Chris Hadfield in space from our Goderich show and not dropping the call as we serenaded him with “Truscott”.
Top Ten TS moments by Dayna Manning:
10. The whole Canadian Folk Music Awards experience especially the show at the Calgary Folk Club where Shannon & Randelle met Emm & Laura for the first time.
9. Meeting Benoit Osborne, Amy Kenny, Rubin Ghose, Kim Winnicky, Kim Beggs, Secret Agent KR, Suze Casey, Tom Coxworth, Andy Frank, Andy Donnelly, Shelagh Rodgers, Bob Reid and Dieter & Silke Gade.
8. Baking cookies for the West Coast Music Awards promoter with Emm in Calgary so we could get a real piano to for her to play the Jann Arden tribute on.
7. My parents getting their own flannels to wear to our shows.
6. Impromptu performance at the Toronto Airport Sheridan lobby bar with LCB and Indio Saravanja, when there was no power in the hotel because of the Toronto flood. We were on our way to Whitehorse YT. Actually that whole trip, especially playing the Globe Theatre and the St. Elias Convention Centre.
5. Playing Space Oddity on the banjo with a real live Astronaut in Ottawa on Canada Day. Pinch me.
4. Golfing with the Snowbirds and watching them fly to our song Freedom.
3. Our March 15th Goderich, ON show, getting ready for the call from the International Space Station, talking and singing to Chris Hadfield, all of Darryl’s, (our soundman) excitement.
2. Singing the last line of O Canada at the flag raising ceremony on Parliament Hill on Canada day, because it was the line I enjoyed the most. The anxiety of making a mistake was gone. It was like an Olympian smiling at the last moments of their perfected routine.
1. Getting engaged to the love of my life at the Trent Severn staff Christmas party.
Yukon Photo Credit: Mark Aquilla